Monday, April 12, 2010

85 in, 600 out? How's that workin' out for ya?

I know it's weird to write twice in one day, but I wanted to post something. As you know, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday are low cal days and it's pretty tough to get moving by the afternoon. Today I had eaten my 3rd of 5 snacks, (a protein bar) after my workout at about 1:00. I knew I'd have to wait until about 4:45 to eat my next snack to get me through 5:30 spin class. My 4th snack is 1 rice cake with 1 T. of BNPB (85 whole calories). Although I look forward to anything peanut butter, I knew that 1 cake is never enough. But somehow, it usually gets me through class. So I ate my rice cake and as an added precaution I had a 5 hour energy shot. At 5:00 I thought, there is no way that I'm going to have the energy to work hard in class. I could hardly lift my arms up to drink the shot!

I'm driving to class and I can literally feel the calories and/or 5 hour energy kicking in and by the time I get to class (about 5 minutes...not kidding) I am practically skipping into the building. And I have to say, class was BRUTAL! Even by my standards... it was a tough class. Fast paced throughout with only one hill climb. I was kicking ass and taking names baby! At 6:00 almost exactly, I started to feel the energy leave my body about as fast as it came while I was driving to class. Oh Oh! I was fading FAST! The last song I had them do hovers from all 3 positions (glutes back, center, glutes forward) moving directly from one the next without coming up. My legs were literally shaking and so were my arms. It was complete mental will to keep going. I was almost in tears and felt the early signs of hyperventilation. But I knew I could push for 2 more minutes, knowing it was the last song. I had to be very careful getting off the bike so that my legs wouldn't buckle and hung onto the bike all through stretches. From class I had to pick up Hunter from BJJ class and then to pick up Kaelyn from play practice so I didn't get to eat until 7:30. I was nauseous by the time I got to my plate and scarfed it down like an Ethiopian!

Lesson: Don't trust your 85 calorie snack to get you all the way through a 600+ calorie workout!

So tomorrow I get to try my first "empty stomach" workout for 6am spin. Giggle** yeah... we'll see how that goes! I've NEVER done spin without at least my 120-180 calorie protein bar.
WISH ME LUCK!

2 comments:

  1. See, this is the breakthrough I've been waiting to hear about. Yeah, you've had tough workouts, but THIS... you just proved that you could FEEL the energy come out of your body, but you have the mental fortitude to push through that and kill it. Remember that feeling. It won't always be there, but this is a HUGE success. Congrats, Chelle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dev! You know I was looking at it all wrong. I was seeing my body failing, instead I should have been looking at it as my mind succeeding!

    ReplyDelete