Sunday, March 28, 2010

The lesson for today?? Sodium....

It's finally Sunday....aaahhhh.... resting the weary butt muscles! I've had a really great week this week. All of my workouts were strong and productive and I didn't cheat on my diet. I do have one thing to tell you and it is an important lesson. Last night, I consciously decided to swap out my last meal for what I made for dinner. After reading all the labels I cut myself a SMALL piece of barbeque chicken calzone. The pizza crust was about the same but 10 extra carbs than I would have normally eaten and the chicken was fine, there was no cheese on my little piece and the BBQ sauce had a about 4 grams more sugar than the A1 sauce that I would have put on my rice. Overall, I thought it was a pretty good swap for the extra joy it gave me to eat something different, albeit a very small portion. I felt no guilt over this at all. Later, I decided to update my recipe book because I have all sorts of internet print outs, and magazine pages, etc that are just stuffed into my book, so I was writing out the ones that I have made in the last couple of weeks (family enjoyed them all and said they were keepers). When I got to the BBQ chicken calzones, and was writing out the nutritional value (all very reasonable) EXCEPT ....can you guess what I missed in my substitution calculation? ..... I'm sure that Lisa and Jason already know and were shaking their heads at about the second sentence. That's right... sodium. Per serving about 765 mg! Even tho I had less than a serving, I was sitting there with my mouth hanging open, color drained from my face as if I had just eaten rat poisoning and had about 2 days to live. (OK... perhaps that is a slight exaggeration) But after my great week of no cheating and looking down the barrel of another 2 pounds of weight loss, I think I just screwed myself. That's what I get for trying to make "logical" substitutions. Not to worry Lisa, no more label reading. It's just the menu. And lo and behold, this morning I was exactly 1 pound heavier than I weighed yesterday morning. Stupid water retention. At this stage of the game, although, we still haven't talked about sodium restriction, IT'S A HUGE DEAL!!!

So endith the lesson....

In other news, I finished my routine, and 'performed' it in front of Jason and Mossy yesterday at Lisa's. It was totally nerve wracking! I was more nervous than I expected myself to be. I trust and respect "Team Brightman", consider them friends and know that they would not laugh behind my back or judge me negatively..... yet ... still nervous. I've always had some issues with performance anxiety (during my singing days in HS/college) but I thought that my experience of teaching aerobics would help that...I don't have to sing, after all! I got through it and, thanks to my darker tan, they may not have noticed my deep blushing. It was great experience to practice and front of others. So... Monterey friends, be prepared to be my practice audience!

Again, no dietary changes for me this week but changes in the workouts. I told Lisa that I can get away with staying off the bike for spin, and I have arranged with Marcelo (the other gym manager) to teach a beginner kickboxing segment for the next 4 weeks on Wednesdays. That will mean less jumping around for me, more teaching, partner drills, etc. So I have 2 HIIT sessions a week, 2 posing practices (1 hour each), 2 workouts with Lisa and 2 workouts on my own. Sounds fun right? Well I think so!

One week has passed after my first spray tan last weekend. The "fake" color is gone from my face but I think I'm hanging on to some color everywhere else still. But I have been enjoying the sun the last couple of days and probably picking up some color with that. I plan to hang out on my trampoline today again. Looks like it will be another beautiful day! Enjoy it friends!!

1 comment:

  1. The calzone was sooo good though! I think the 1 lb of water retention was well worth it! Thanks for all the yummy meals!

    ReplyDelete