Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Help! I've fallen and I can't push myself up!

I'm mustering all my strength to type today's blog as I can hardly lift my arms. I worked chest with Lisa and I think she tried to kill me. I wondered why she was so happy when I got there! Not cuz... "I must be her favorite client!"... Or "She must love my fun personality!"... NOOO.. she was happy cuz she was thinking... "this chick has NO idea what I have in store for her... muuaawwwhwwwwwhhhaaaa!"... That's what I used to think when I had clients in ND. But if any of you are reading this... I was SO kind to you! You have no idea!
I was doing bench to failure and incline to failure... here is what I wasn't doing..
"warm up" with 50 push ups from your toes
lighter weight on the bar and push up to failure (example: set one, 20 reps, set 2, 13 reps) THEN add the weight for 2 more sets to failure (4 on my own and 2 with assistance -- and by "assistance" I really mean that I am sure that Lisa literally lifted my arms up with the bar). On to incline with DBs instead of the bar and last add a little weight so I can't push it up on my own and come down slowly with negative resistance. I'm totally failing at this point.

Thank goodness I'm done! My arms feel like bricks hanging by my sides. I'm thankful that I got a shower in after spin this morning because I'm not sure if I'll be able to lift my arms to wash my hair.

So Lisa says, "OK, do 50 more push ups and you are done." I felt like Polly Shore in that one Army movie.. "That's down and up, right?" So I get into position and my arms are already shaking... fail. I can't even do one push up. So I beg on my knees, but Lisa pushes me down and stands on my back and yells "PUSH!"... I'm just kidding, that didn't happen. But I did ask if I can do them from my knees. (I'm pretty sure she rolled her eyes but I was too embarrassed to look at her face) What's worse, after I eked out my first 15 and had to rest, I started to yap in an effort to get more rest time, and she tells me, "yep all my clients do that and then they will talk all thru the next set"... well that got me to shut up!

I'm pretty sure that "waxing on and waxing off" will not be in my immediate future. I'm concerned about massage class. I've been partnering with my friend Kate, because she understands my soreness and does a great job massaging me. I'll have to branch out as some point...I just hope my new partner doesn't want deep pressure.

3 comments:

  1. I forgot to mention this kind of stuff to you: failure workouts and beyond push reps, and negatives, and so much more. She is doing what I used to do and still do when I need some intense workouts. I usually don't like spotters so I still lift heavy but use the smith machine when I need the good old ass kicking workouts!
    I also do pushups before my benching, to warm up the pecs and triceps...C'mon Chelle, 50 for warmups, by the time your done and a regular you will do 100 warming up...:)

    Sounds like Lisa is working ya good, but thats what you need.

    Try doing dips after working out with everything for chest and triceps and do 50-100 dips...:)

    Hope you have a good night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isaiah, you are crazy! Thanks for keeping up with my adventure.

    Lisa... you rock my socks! I'm totally broken today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's so much more in store for you, just wait...

    ReplyDelete