Thursday, January 21, 2010

Who's that wimpy kid??

Well, today's visit to the gym was a rude awakening. Sadly, it's been years since I've benched ANYTHING! My awesome and beautiful trainer - Lisa (yes, that is shameless sucking up for future "please don't kill me" points) says to me, "start with 10s and find your max from there." I say, "You mean 10 pound on each side of the bar...which is ... 45 pounds...equals 65lbs?"
"Yes"
"I don't think I can lift that much"
"Oh sure you can!"
This is the only time I'll be able to tell Lisa that I was right and she was wrong. Really? Do I really have to admit that?? Ugh! I felt like Spongebob adding "2, count 'em, 2... marshmallows" to my twig and still not being able to lift it!! So I "warmed up" with 10 reps with just the bar and then went for it and added..... a 5 to each end. Whew! At that moment I really felt like a real body builder. I looked at that bar with those tiny little weights on each end and grimaced.. cuz I knew that damn 10 pounds would cause me great pain.

Truly...I felt like it was my first day in the gym...EVER I kept thinking, "4 months, Rachelle, that is all you have." Followed by..."And this shame and pain is costing me only a cool grand.. why wouldn't anyone want to do that?"


2 comments:

  1. Hey Chelle,

    Its your High school lifting partner Isaiah..
    Funny storey..I think I was voted must muscular in High School..do you remember I think I was for our class....anyways I was very small and wimpy looking back then...I have seen pictures and yeah, I had a few muscles but looking back we all thought we were cool in High school and even in college..I thought I was strong then too. as a guy, doing 225 was wow! I felt I was a tough guy...whewwww look at me...but hey I really wasn't...who was i kidding...Not until 10 years ago I think I did okay. and now near our 40's (like Brett Favre) I am at my strongest peak of my life..

    First you will get stronger and very quickly cause your used to movements and strong work. Make sure you use your supplements, to retain and get back what you lose when you workout. I usually took 1.5 sometimes 2 grams of protein per weight. I was looking at over 315-350 grams of protein.
    If you make sure your consistent in your 1.5 per bodyweight you'll gain muscle...202 grams for you or so...

    Don't stop, your going to get stronger..before your done you'll throw up your 45's on each side..then you'll be smiling...:)

    Don't forget no pain no gain right???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kind of like the "no pain no pain" philosophy! :-)

    ReplyDelete