Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Somebody slap me, PLEASE!!!

Remember yesterday when I was all, "blah blah blah...I'm not stiff enough... blah blah blah... I should have some pain.... etc..." ?? Next time something that stupid comes out of my mouth, will someone please slap some sense into me??? Yesterday, was a busy day. I was up and around all day running errands and being a slave to my kids. After I started to settle down into the evening hours, the hurt started coming. A little more... a little more... until I was huddled in the corner crying, knocking my head against the wall and mumbling, "they are all watching me.. they are everywhere.."... What? you don't believe that? OK, I wasn't really mumbling. However, the mumbling came during my 6am spin class this morning. I knew there was going to be pain so I pulled up my britches, took a deep breath and just hoped that my legs would go numb long enough to get through in without crying. I get there and the class is good sized this morning. All my regulars plus a couple more, so I put in one of my favorite CDs so the music can help me along. I do ok with the first couple of songs, feeling the lactic acid immediately but it does kind of 'go numb' quickly. Then about 1/2 way thru the class... "Proud Mary". You know it... "left a good job in the city"... slow and smooth Tina Turner. We peddle seated and work some shoulders... about 1/2 way through the song... TEMPO CHANGE!! Can't you just see her on stage, sexy legs shaking, wild hair everywhere, crowds cheering, like a big church revival! It was almost like that in my class this morning! (not really)... So tempo change to a standing run for 1.5 minutes. I knew it was coming so I braced myself for pain and I got it!! Fire was shooting out of my quads, someone was behind me stabbing me in the butt with a hot poker, my inner and outer thighs were trying their best to pick up the slack and I could hear the screaming and gnashing of teeth coming from my abductors. It was bad, people... like a scene from a samurai battle gone bad. My speed started to slow but I kept standing, trying to get the class to work hard. I hope the pain didn't show on my face. Tina never made grimacing faces...she was always smiling (although sweating) but having a great time for sure! I let them sit about 20 seconds early, I was about 3 seconds from muscle failure. Whew!... Catch your breath... how about some arms on the next song? you know, to let the class catch their breath. I made it through and Mike said I faked it well. :-) Thank goodness for high school drama class!

Lesson? Wait for at least 2 days before talking smack about wanting to be stiff!

My lift for today was upper back. Nothing to report, all went well. I was almost alone in the gym so I wasn't bothered or annoyed by anyone. Thank you to my friend Julie for spotting me on my pull ups. She also informed me that my insurance covers psychiatric care. Good to know!

1 comment:

  1. I read those comments yesterday and nearly mentioned that I almost always have DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness), especially when starting a new lifting program. Guess you found that out, though. =P

    Good luck with the body building training!

    ReplyDelete