Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Got pump??

Have you ever heard body builders or muscle heads talking about getting a pump? Pump iron, get my pump on, pump up, pump-itude :-) Of course you have!! Feeling a pump is an actual thing. "What causes the pump is that blood is forced into the area by the action of the muscles and the pressure of the cardiovascular system, but there is no comparable force drawing the blood out of the muscle. Therefore, this extra blood stays in the muscle for some period of time swelling it up to a much bigger size." - Arnold S. Well... this little lady has never felt the pump before, just exhaustion... Until yesterday. I felt the pump in my shoulders yesterday and it was pretty darn cool. And, indeed, they felt and looked huge! (relatively speaking :-) I've been really excited about lifting the last couple of months and I'm pleased at the results.

Today, as I was catching a ride on Sissy's back as she buddy carried me across the gym, I couldn't help but think "I love my job". It's great to push people to work harder than they thought they could and watch the results happen. But who is going to push me when I don't think I can go harder? This week I have been very tired. I'm not sleeping well and I have to dig deep to find the energy to have a good workout. I have to consider the beginning signs of over training. As it is, I didn't run on Monday, and today was supposed to be 5 miles and I slogged out 2.2. Granted, I was limited on time with an incredibly busy day today, but still.... 8 miles on Saturday is not going to be fun at all. I sure hope Jenny can run with me. The company and accountability is an enormous help to me. In the process, my new friend is finding that she can run more than 3 miles... and with relatively little pain and agony! (unlike me, who talks her poor ear off the whole time to distract myself from my own pain and agony!!) And I've decided not to lift tomorrow between my two classes. I'm currently lifting every body part 2 times per week (except for legs - only once) so I can afford a day of rest. :-) ((that is...if you consider a 1 hour kickboxing class followed by a 45 minute spin class a "day of rest" :-))

So there you go.... Have you gotten your pump on lately?? If my little muscles can feel a pump, I know yours can too! Or run across the gym with a buddy on your back! Do an extra set of everything and leave the gym knowing that you pushed your body.


2 comments:

  1. I have not felt the pump... I sure have felt the sleepies and over training feeling, but can you feel over trained when all your doing is 30 minutes a day? This is pathetic, this real life teaching stuff makes you feel like you ran... i mean jog/sleep walked into a train. I sure wish I could be with you training and have you along side to keep me motivated. In a year I will get back into the gym like I used to until then, I hear biology papers calling my name:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It comes and goes in seasons! Don't worry, time will pass on this "training" stage of teaching. Of course then real life begins and there will always be biology papers calling. Maybe even a husband and child to add to all that! The bottom line is, those that love you, love you...whether or not you can still bench 100+ or just the bar ;-P... or run like the wind, or jog like... well,... like me :-) I know you will be back to the gym, in the mean time.. maybe invest in a TRX? You can do sets in between each paper :-)
    Anyway.... love you to pieces!! I'm glad you read my blog. It makes me feel comfortable knowing that you are still "with me".

    ReplyDelete